Your Best Interests Are

Our Top Priority

 December 9, 2016 |

If you have children, then you likely make them a priority in your life. You probably want what is best for them with regard to their education and upbringing. While this isn’t always a problem, you may find yourself facing difficulties with regard to seeing, providing for or protecting your children. This issues often come up in family law, not only with regard to child custody and child support, but also with visitation.

Looking at the big picture, a court usually allows visitation since it is largely in the child’s best interest. All non-custodial parents have the right to visit with their children. However, that right can be infringed upon if there are allegations of abuse. If there are allegations or a history of violence, then a court may order a parent’s visitation to be supervised until a different recommendation is made.

Why is this important? If you are a non-custodial parent, then understanding your visitation rights is key to seeing your child. If a custodial parent is keeping your child from seeing you, then you may want to take legal action to protect your rights. If, on the other hand, you are a custodial parent, then you need to know your legal rights so that you can protect your child from his or her other parent if that parent poses a threat. If you have concerns that visitation between your child and his or her non-custodial parent is not in your child’s best interests, then you might want to consider your legal options.

Handling family law matters like this are often difficult on many levels. There are often heightened emotions on the part of both parents. However, having an advocate on your side can help ensure that you and your child’s best interests are furthered in a calm and productive manner.

Source: Louisiana Department of Children & Family Services, “Child Support Enforcement Access and Visitation,” accessed on Dec. 2, 2016

    Contact Us

    Let Us Earn Your Trust.

    Schedule a confidential consultation with an attorney at 225-452-4408.