Your Best Interests Are

Our Top Priority

 April 25, 2014 |

In almost every state, child support is determined by a standard calculation that takes into account the income of both parents and the number of children involved. Once the child support amount has been decided, however, that may not be the end of it. One or both parties can go back to the court to request a modification of child support based on a variety of factors.

Metta World Peace has not played basketball for any Louisiana team, but he is a former team member of the New York Knicks, which afforded him a substantial income. His ex-girlfriend and mother of his 13-year-old son recently filed a lawsuit against the former National Basketball Association star on April 8, 2014, alleging that he has refused to pay for his son’s private school education. The papers also allege that Peace attempts to “control and manipulate” her with his money and that it is not good for their son.

The son is an honors student who has athletic abilities like his father, and his mother says that he will be “devastated” if he is unable to attend the Poly Prep Country Day School as planned. She also claims that Peace originally agreed to pay the $38,355 annual tuition fee, but then went back on his promise and refuses to pay up.

The suit is seeking to have Peace put $140,000 into an escrow account to pay four years of tuition at the school, as well as an additional $250,000 so that the son can attend a private college when he graduates from high school. According to the mother’s attorney, the former basketball player earned $9 million during 2013 and was paid $3.2 million by the Knicks team in February 2014, when they bought out his contract.

Few couples have the income that Peace apparently has, but they still may face the same issues when it comes to determining child support amounts. When there is any substantial change in income or there is a financial milestone on the horizon for any of the children, the best course of action is to seek the advice of an attorney who can be sure that any child support changes are fair and equitable.

Source: New York Post, “Metta World Peace a deadbeat dad: suit” Julia Marsh, Apr. 09, 2014

    Contact Us

    Let Us Earn Your Trust.

    Schedule a confidential consultation with an attorney at 225-452-4408.