Your Best Interests Are

Our Top Priority

 October 16, 2015 |

If you are a noncustodial parent, then you know the financial strain support payments can put on you. Even though support modification may help give you some breathing room, you might eventually want the support payments to stop altogether. Whether it is because you feel they are unjustified or because they are no longer needed, altering or ending these payments might be needed. There are instances when child support will be terminated, but there are also some circumstances that may give rise to a continuation of support, even when it would otherwise be terminated.

Speaking broadly, child support stops when a child reaches the age of majority or is emancipated. However, if your child is in college or another secondary school, is under the age of 19,and is dependent upon one of his or her parents then, under the law, child support is to continue.

If that child who is in a secondary school is disabled, then support should continue until he or she reaches the age of 22. Also, if your child is disabled to the point that he or she needs substantial care and supervision and is unable to support him or herself, then support may be ordered to continue despite the child’s age.

As you can see, child support is a wide-reaching obligation. Therefore, if you are a custodial parent in need of financial assistance, you may want to see if your child fits into any of these categories. If you are a noncustodial parent who is feeling overwhelmed by the financial burden, then you may want to seek modification of the agreement, whether court ordered or agreed upon by the parties involved.

In the end, family law can get messy, and is often made worse by complicated legal issues. Therefore, it might be wise to speak with a Louisiana family law attorney who may be able to help you assess your situation and advise you as how best to proceed to protect your interests.

Source: Louisiana Legislature, “315.22,” accessed on Oct. 9, 2015

    Contact Us

    Let Us Earn Your Trust.

    Schedule a confidential consultation with an attorney at 225-452-4408.